UPDATED: Friday, April 13, 2012 - 9:54am
BRYAN -- A Bryan eatery is closed tonight after a fire broke out in the store this morning.
The fire started just after 9:30 at the Popeyes off N. Earl Rudder Freeway, near Villa Maria Road.
The restaurant and several other businesses located in the same strip were evacuated for about an hour while fire crews worked to contain the blaze.
Employee, Tiffany Morrison, tell us the fire started in a vent after turning the heater on for the first time.
"It was a few moments after I turned it on and I smelled, 'You know how when you turn the heater on and it has that burnt smell?' Well, it had that burnt smell and I thought it was just that and then I turned around and there was black smoke coming out of the vents and I panicked."
Thankfully, no one was injured but the Popeyes will remain closed for the next couple of weeks while the damage is repaired.