UPDATED: Friday, April 13, 2012 - 8:53am
House fires are more common during the holiday season than any other time of year. Fire marshals attribute this problem to improper use of heaters during the colder season, and simple holiday decorations being misused.
Jeff Wilhelm, fire prevention specialists, says that using an extension cord with a space heater and not giving the heater enough space, can be extremely hazardous.
Fire marshals say, do not try and fix a heater or extension cord problem on your own, because a temporary fix could lead to a fire in the future.
Mr. Wilhelm says that Christmas lights can also become a problem without following the guidelines given on the directions.
He also said, during the holidays people tend to light more candles, which could present a problem if you burn them too long. Candles have a specific amount of time that is listed, that allows the candle to burn safely.
To learn more about fire prevention during the holidays, visit www.wacofiredepartment.com and click on fire prevention.