Post holiday blues, this too shall pass

POSTED: Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 5:45pm
UPDATED: Friday, April 13, 2012 - 9:54am

WACO -- As the holiday season passes some may be feeling relief, while others, a bit of a let down.

In fact doctors say 20 to 25 percent of people have some sense of sadness after the holidays, t the other 75 percent...

"are sort of relieved to get through the holiday," Psychiatrist Sean McCarthy said.

But children don't experience holiday pressure like adults do, they're usually the ones affected most by post holiday blues.

"It's probably more frequent for children to have a bit of a let down, but it lasts a much shorter period of time and is much less severe," Dr. McCarthy said.

He recommends one of the best ways to feel better is to get back to your normal routine.

"Both children and adults must keep the same concepts in mind of remembering to be grateful and then trying to stay active and take care of themselves."

Also, take a close look at what you're eating and drinking.

"Much of the crankiness we see around the holidays, especially Christmas is almost completely nutritionally based. Sometimes during the holidays people tend to over do it on indulgences, not just eating too much but drinking too much. alcohol can certainly be a depressant."

But doctors say if your symptoms last more than 2 weeks, it may be time to seek professional help.

News

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment