UPDATED: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 10:04am
COLLEGE STATION, Tx (KYLE) — It was a follow-up health inspection at the BCS Asian Market on Tuesday when an inspector found an extremely dangerous fumigant inside the store, which ultimately caused CSFD Station No. 2 to be evacuated.
"Any of those fumigants can readily kill just about anything and that's why we knew right away that this was a really bad chemical to find," said Mark Johnsen with the Brazos County Health Department.
Fumitoxin contains aluminum phosphide which is a commercial grade pesticide that requires several state licenses.
The BCS Asian Market didn't have any of those and on top of it; the chemical, which is extremely reactive to air and water, was being stored improperly.
"The chemical itself was open at the time so it's one of those things that we have to air on the side of caution because we don't know if the chemical was used in the building."
Now investigators with the Brazos County Health Department, the Department of State Health Services and the Texas Department of Agriculture are investigating to find out how the owner got a hold of the deadly chemical and if any thing in the store was contaminated.
Johnsen said, "It was in an area where food and products are sold in the store so we don't know what items could have come in contact with."
The owner has two options in order to re-open: he can either have the state test each item individually for contamination or get rid of every single item in the store.