Gases to be cautious of in your home

POSTED: Thursday, July 5, 2012 - 4:18pm
UPDATED: Friday, July 6, 2012 - 10:24am

The mandatory evacuation at the Waco Police Department today after a rare Freon leak inside the building, is a good reminder that in our homes there are two other gases we should also be concerned about.

"Carbon monoxide and natural gas," Keith Guillory said, with Waco Fire Department.

Natural gas may leak from pipes that feed to appliances like stove tops, but is detected easily because of its distinct rotten egg smell.

"If enough of it gets out into your home it could end up being an explosive hazard but it has to be quite a bit," Guillory said.  

Carbon monoxide on the other hand, is colorless and odorless. but it can be recognized by a detector or from your symptoms.

"If you don't have a detector for carbon monoxide, the only way you would know it is if you get sick; vomiting, headache, dizziness."

As for Freon, leaks are not likely in homes because air conditioning units are typically outside.

But if you suspect any type of gas leak...

"Get out of the house, call 9-1-1 and get professional medical help."

News

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment