Man charged with evading arrest, theft after hospital stay

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 - 11:02am

UPDATE: A man accused of leading police on a chase last month has been charged by the Bell County District Attorney's Office. The incident took place on November 25.

According to the Killeen Police Department, Ronnie Lee Turner tried to evade officers in his vehicle after stealing items from a local Wal-Mart. He was later caught following a wreck involving a dump truck. He was taken to a nearby hosptial for injuries sustained during the crash.

Turner is charged with evading arrest in a motor vehicle and theft. His bond is set at $55,000.

The suspect will be transfered to Bell County Jail.

ORIGINAL REPORT: Killeen Police are investigating a crash that occurred on Trimmier Road after the driver was involved in a theft.

Officers received a 911 call at 2:50pm on Monday, November 25, 2013, in reference to a major crash where unknown injuries were reported in the area of Trimmier Road and East Central Texas Expressway. Upon the officer’s arrival, they found a black Ford Taurus, a gray Ford Escape and a City of Killeen Dump truck in the 1000 block of Central Texas Expressway.

The preliminary investigation revealed the driver, a black male, of the Ford Taurus was involved in a theft at the Wal-Mart located at 1400 Lowes Blvd. Officers located the vehicle in the 2500 block of W.S. Young Drive and when they attempted to make contact with the driver, he evaded and a pursuit ensued. The suspect traveled northbound on W. S. Young Drive and made his way Westbound onto Central Texas Expressway at a high rate of speed. The driver then attempted to turn Northbound onto Trimmier Road where he failed to negotiate the turn causing the vehicle to collide with a City of Killeen Dump truck and a Ford Escape, occupied by two occupants. The two occupants of the Ford Focus were transported to the Carl R. Darnell Army Medical Center with non-life threatening injuries and the driver of the dump truck was unharmed. The suspect was transported to the Carl R. Darnell Army Medical Center with unknown injuries and subsequently transported to Scott & White Memorial Hospital.


Comments News Comments

Post new Comment