Statistics have shown the number of cell phones around the globe is trending to exceed the world population in the very near future. While Verizon Wireless recognizes that increased connectivity, access to technology and sharing of information is a positive aspect of our mobile society, we also acknowledge the need to be conscious of the footprint these devices can pose to the environment.
With Earth Day just around the corner, our thoughts turn to innovative ways we can all work together to make a positive impact, reduce the amount of harmful materials entering into our waste system and live more eco-friendly lifestyles.
Give your mobile phone second life
If you are like most people, you probably have a couple old cell phones sitting in a junk drawer. There are several options in the marketplace today to responsibly dispose of these devices. For example, Verizon’s electronic device recycling program provides consumers the choice to trade in phones or tablets for a Verizon Wireless gift card for the device’s appraised value. Or they can choose to donate the device to Verizon’s HopeLine program, which benefits survivors of domestic violence. When wireless devices cannot be renewed and must be recycled, we adhere to a zero landfill policy, to keep e-waste out of landfills.
For each phone or tablet traded in through the electronic device recycling program, Verizon Wireless will make a donation to the HopeLine program. We are extremely proud of these programs because not only do they benefit the environment and encourage responsible recycling, but they also support our communities and help those in need. Since 2001, nearly 11 million phones have been collected nationwide through Verizon’s HopeLine program and 180,000 phones have been donated to victims and survivors.
Use technology to go green
Fortunately, being more environmentally friendly does not mean ridding your life of all modern conveniences. In fact, modern technology can even help us better protect the environment. Below are a few quick tips to keep in mind for Earth Day:
• Unplug to save energy: How many electric devices do you leave plugged in 24/7? Consider unplugging unnecessary chargers when they are not in use to save money on your electric bill and reduce your carbon footprint.
• Harness the power of solar: Charge your smartphone, tablet or other smart devices with a Panasonic’s SolarSmart or other similar chargers.
• Go mobile: Smartphones and tablets use much less energy than larger devices such as desktop computers and televisions.
• Utilize machine-to-machine (M2M) technology: Looking to further reduce the amount of energy used in your home? M2M technologies, such as smart thermostats, offer ways to improve energy efficiency.
• Phone and tablet cases: Consider switching out your device covers for ones made with sustainable or recycled materials.
• Download apps: Eco-friendly apps such as GoodGuide, 1800Recycling and Go Green are packed with tips for green shopping, recycling and more.
Oftentimes, small changes like these can make a big difference. We are happy to do our part at Verizon Wireless, and we hope that you will join us by making a positive impact on the environment not just on Earth Day, but throughout the year.