Tenants: Rattlesnakes invade Scottsdale apartments

MGN
Monday, May 13, 2013 - 8:58am

Scottsdale, AZ (KPHO) -- At first glance, the view of the desert at Dakota at McDowell Mountain Ranch in Scottsdale is serene. For Heather Wallace, it was nearly to die for.

In mid-March, she was bitten by a Mohave rattlesnake just feet from her apartment while trying to save her cat.

"You can feel it grip on. It's like cutting through butter. It grabbed my thumb and went down through the tendon. When it turned around it nicked me on the other side," said Wallace.

The Mohave's venom put Wallace in a coma. She spent a total of nine days in the ICU and had to be readmitted to the hospital three more times. Wallace was left with no feeling in much of her hand.

A few months prior Wallace told CBS 5 her downstairs neighbor was bitten.

"She was getting out of her car and she stepped out and it bit her," said Wallace.

Snakes aren't just slithering around outside. A man who lives in the complex showed CBS 5 a picture of a snake he found behind his son's crib, as well as another photo he snapped Saturday night of a snake on the sidewalk nearly at his front door.

"If they put in the lease that there are scorpions and bedbugs, why are you not saying we have a snake problem," said Wallace.

Wallace told CBS 5 at the very least, signs need to be put up around the complex warning residents, especially children.

"When you look out, here this is a kid's play land. It's not OK. They're trying to keep it under wraps because they're trying to rent out apartments," said Wallace.

The leasing office at Dakota at McDowell Mountain Ranch was closed when CBS 5 stopped by Saturday evening.

CBS 5 left a message with management at the complex to see what they're doing to let people know about the snake problem. So far there has been no response.

News

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment