Waco, TX — Frying a turkey takes less time than baking it, and those that do fry their bird swear that it’s juicier and tastier than traditional ones. But local fire departments are preaching safety this Thanksgiving.
1) Always fry a turkey outdoors, never indoors.
2) Never leave the fryer unattended.
3) Be careful of nearby children and pets.
4) Make sure the bird is completely thawed and be careful with marinades.
5) If possible, keep an extinguisher around.
6) And if a fire does occur, never use water to put out an oil/grease fire.
“As far as grease fires, you never want to use water because that intensifies the fire," said Keith Guillory of the Waco Fire Department. "Use a multi-purpose fire extinguisher, or even baking soda. Use can use baking soda to put out grease fires but never use water."
And don’t use a big bird- experts say a smaller turkey around roughly ten pounds is most ideal.