UPDATED: Friday, April 13, 2012 - 9:53am
WACO - One man is still being treated in Dallas for burns, and two others are recovering at home after an explosion at a construction site. It happened Wednesday morning in the 4000 block of Green Oak Dr.
Fire investigators say contractors were using a paint-type product with a lacquer base while working on an addition to a vacant home. Vapors in the air reportedly reached explosive limits. Investigators say an electrical motor pump for the spray may have kicked on, sparking the fumes and causing the explosion.
One paint store account manager, Wayne Wigley, has been in situations where the product was used. He says, explosions are not that common, and "They are very fortunate that these guys came out alive."
To lessen the chances of an explosion like the one that happened at the vacant home, there are certain precautions that can be taken.
Wigley suggests, "They need to cut off all flames, all pilot lights, stoves, water heaters, anything that they're using that has any type of point of ignition should be cut off, they need to have adequate ventilation to clear the fumes out of there."
Fire Marshal Lt. Fisk says these situations can be predictable by knowing explosive limits and reading all warnings on a product's label.