UPDATED: Friday, April 13, 2012 - 9:54am
WACO -- A Lorena family is without a home tonight after their house was destroyed in a fire around 1:30 this morning.
But it's the cause of the fire that has fire fighters on alert as we creep into a cooler season.
Space heaters... they can be found in many homes in Central Texas, but if they are not cared for correctly, the damages could be life threatening.
The Waco Fire Department has a few tips to help keep your family warm and safe as the temperatures drop.
"Three feet from the heat. We want to make sure whether it's electrical or gas, or just a regular old fire place, that we keep as much combustibles at least three feet away. And when we count combustibles, we include ourselves in that. On electrical (space heaters), we want to make sure they go directly into a wall. The last thing we want to make sure is they're in good condition. And that means that if you slam that door on that cord for that heater, don't reuse it," Waco fire prevention specialist Jeff Wilhelm said.
Wilhelm also said to make sure to unplug your heater when it's unattended and also be aware of what's around it.