Seattle man gets 18 years in terror plot
A Seattle man was sentenced to 18 years in prison on Monday for plotting to attack a military processing center using grenades and machine guns, the Justice Department said.
Abu Khalid Abdul-Latif, also known as Anthony Davis, pleaded guilty in December to conspiracy to murder U.S. military members and to conspiracy to use weapons of mass destruction, namely explosives.
According to U.S. District Judge James Robart, the 2011 plot to attack recruits at the Military Entrance Processing Center in Seattle "could have done incredible harm if it had gone forward."
The plot was thwarted when Abdul-Latif, 34, approached an individual about participating in the attack and supplying guns, prosecutors said. That person then began working with law enforcement.
Authorities began monitoring Abdul-Latif and co-conspirator Walli Mujahidh, 33, and recorded them in June 2011 discussing a plan to go after the processing center.
Abdul-Latif wanted to use grenades and machine guns and took steps to buy those arms.
The person who was secretly cooperating with law enforcement brought three machine guns to a meeting with the pair. As soon as the men accepted the guns, which had been rendered harmless, they were arrested.
"This defendant planned to attack a military center when there would be the largest possible gathering of new recruits and their families," said Jenny Durkan, the U.S. Attorney in Seattle. "He targeted young men and women solely because they wanted to serve our country. His goal: to inspire others with a message of hate."
Prosecutors recommended a lengthy prison term and said Abdul-Latif had not expressed any remorse or disavowed the radical ideology that led him to undertake the plot.
Mujahidh is scheduled to be sentenced on April 8.
™ & © 2013 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.